watch the full documentary on You Tube VOD here
Glide along the boulevards of St-Henri with the charming perpetual motion machines that are this district’s diverse denizens, from the taciturn milkman to resourceful Doris the gleaner to a group of Mohawk hipsters.
This kaleidoscopic romp through a semi-industrial neighborhood pays homage to Hubert Aquin’s 1962 film of the same name by seamlessly drawing together the work of sixteen cinematographers to capture everyday life in a vibrant working-class community on a single summer day. A thoughtful spatial metaphor in which people—the city’s vital force—flow through St-Henri’s streets, steam tunnels, train tracks, and magnificent central canal like blood throbbing through veins. In St-Henri, people are definitely on the move, not to escape from home, but rather, to revel in it. With an original score by Polaris Prize-winning musician Patrick Watson, this dawn-‘til-dusk collage provides a rare opportunity to see a community transform in front of one’s eyes.
Inspired by the 1962 ONF film “À St-Henri le 5 septembre”, this unique collaborative film brings together some of the brightest talents in the contemporary Montreal documentary community to capture this story.
- a film by Shannon Walsh
- edited by Sophie Leblond
- sound design and edit by Daniel Lagacé
- written by Shannon Walsh and Denis Valiquette
- Produced by Sarah Spring, Selin Murat and Colette Loumède for the ONF
- Original music by Patrick Watson
- Unit Directors Anaïs Barbeau-Lavalette, Richard Brouillette, Tracey Deer, Claude Demers, Halima Elkhatabi, Sylvain L’Espérance, Caroline Martel, Amy Miller, Kaveh Nabatian, Denis Valiquette, Karen Vanderborght, Shannon Walsh
- Directors of Photography Marie-Noël Arseneau, Geoffroy Beauchemin, Fabien Côte, Boban Chaldovich, Jeff Dorn, Yanie Dupont-Hébert, Julien Fontaine, Katherine Giguère, Paul Kell, Philippe Lavalette, Martin Leblanc, Jacques Leduc, Sylvain L’Espérance, Jean-Pierre Saint-Louis
- Sound Recording Santiago Bertolino, Fabien Côté, Jose Garcia, Simon Goulet, Daniel Lagacé, Marc LaRouche, Olivier Léger, Alexandre Lemouël, Martine Morin, Christophe Motte, Kyle Stanfield, Lynne Trépanier, Catherine Van der donckt, Sylvain Vary